There are so many reasons that people don't take the traditional route to university and study straight from school or college. Whether it's the cost of course fees, needing a break from study, being offered a great job or just life's circumstances, we hear from hundreds of people each year who feel like they missed out on the experience of further study and that all-important graduation ceremony.
Education is not just a journey for the youth but a lifelong endeavour. Many adults harbour aspirations of completing their education or acquiring new skills. The idea of donning the cap and gown, receiving that coveted diploma and achieving a sense of accomplishment is exhilarating. Fortunately, adult education courses can make this dream a reality. Through various platforms, including training in-centre with Pitman, adults can access courses and reap substantial benefits.
Taking the leap:
The initial step towards graduation begins with overcoming apprehensions. Adults often grapple with concerns about time constraints, financial considerations or fitting into a classroom setting filled with younger individuals. Research and planning are essential. Thanks to the plethora of options available today, it is possible to find courses that accommodate different schedules and budgets. From online study to evening study times, there are myriad avenues that have sprouted to cater to adults’ educational aspirations. At Pitman Training, we have advisors to help you navigate your options and decide on the best route of study for you.
One of the virtues of adult education is the focus on practical and relevant learning. As adults, we typically have well-defined goals, be it a career switch, job promotion or the pursuit of a long-held passion. Courses that cater to adults are tailored with this in mind, not only enhancing existing skills but also accelerating the pathway to graduation. During your Pitman Training study, learning coaches can support you on aspects of your course where you are less confident and you can fast-track through others.
Benefits of adult education:
On your journey to your graduation ceremony, the benefits of your commitment to study as an adult are significant.
- Career advancement – continuing education opens the door to better job prospects. With additional qualifications and skills, adults can vie for promotions, salary increments or even explore new career paths. This financial security and career satisfaction are directly linked to an improved quality of life.
- Personal growth and satisfaction – beyond the financial aspects, education is fundamentally empowering. The sense of accomplishment derived from pursuing and achieving educational goals later in life is immensely gratifying. It fosters a sense of self-worth, bolsters confidence and can be an inspiration to family and peers.
- Lifelong learning and cognitive health – engaging in educational pursuits keeps the brain active and can stave off cognitive decline. Lifelong learning cultivates a sense of curiosity, critical thinking and adaptability. These qualities are not only beneficial in the professional realm but contribute to an enriched personal life.
- Building networks – returning to education as an adult presents opportunities to build networks with professionals and peers. These relationships can be instrumental in career advancements, business endeavours or simply in gaining diverse perspectives.
- Technological literacy – in an age where technology is an integral part of life, adult education courses often incorporate technological components. This exposure is invaluable, as it enhances digital literacy – a skill that is indispensable in today's world.
Embarking on the journey of adult education is a decision that can be transformative. Through careful planning and the selection of relevant courses, adults can stride towards the graduation of their dreams. The multifaceted benefits, including career advancement, personal growth and cognitive health, make this pursuit not just a realisation of a dream but a cornerstone for an enriched life. So, take that leap of faith and don the cap and gown with pride and fulfilment like the thousands of adults who have graduated through our Centre.